Wednesday, September 8, 2010

First Class

As everything in my life is a strugglefest, so was my first class.  I'm teaching as part of a larger "Martial Arts" club and my class wasn't listed so that folks would know that they could show up.  So, it was only me and two other folks.  However, I have to say, it worked out to my advantage since I could spend a lot of time with the both of them.
One of the students showed up late, which was cool because the on time student was also a judo guy.  We had a chance to work on rolling, and since he already had a good grasp, we could do fun stuff like making it rounder and increasing surface area during a fall.
Once both students were there, we covered the first release as an excuse to talk about following uke and timing.  I'm not real sure how many techniques I'm going to make it through, so I've been thinking about what the "vital" stuff is.  By that I mean which techniques teach the most important ideas.  At this point I'm thinking 8 releases, first chain and first 5 out  of the 23.  The releases and chain focus on follow, feel and rhythm.  The first 5 of the 23 on spacing and maai.  If anyone has thoughts that would be awesome!

1 comment:

Patrick Parker said...

Welcome back! Glad you're teaching a class and spreading he love.

RE: what to teach to beginners - i emphasize walking, first 4 releases, shomenate, and aigamaeate for about 20 hours (plus everyone works together on the "cool ninja technique of the day" each class.)

what you're talking about teaching is not much different, and i'm sure it'll work great.