Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Who shows the new guys.

A true martial art is dependent upon those who are not physically gifted to procreate the art. Boom!
Now, am I saying this because I am one of those who is not physically gifted? Perhaps. But, like any crazed internet blogger, I have a twisted logic to my bold and enflaming claim.

Proof of claim!
Well first off, let me define a “true martial art.” Here I’m going to have to show my judo bias and say simply one that uses minimal effort to obtain maximum efficiency. If you have a different definition of a martial art (and I’ll admit that mine is very limited) then you can bail out of my argument now and it won’t hurt my feelings.
Anyway, if you are physically gifted, strong fast flexible, all those things that make you genetically superior, what the hell do you care about maximum efficiency? 999 times out of 1000 you have enough power and speed to make your version of whatever it is you do work.
I’ve watched some judo guys explain a technique; demonstrate the steps doing it one way and then when doing the technique do it completely different. In their minds, they’re doing it the same. But, it is clear that it is not. They are feeling or something the proper thing to do even though they believe they are doing something else. This is another determent to the genetic monster.
But, if your busted and you can make something work, then something else is going on. It can’t be speed or power, you ain’t got none. Instead, it has to be the thing itself. You must understand the technical details of the movement else you’d be doomed.
Further, if you’re average, to compete with the giants in the art, or even demonstrate your proficiency in a believable fashion, you have to learn how to train to gain technical perfection in your art.
So you have to know the details properly in a technique and you have to know how to train so that you can increase your proficiency in those details.
These are the things that enable the next generation to be capable to doing the art as well as the previous generation.

No comments: